Sleepy Hollow

Sleepy Hollow

Tuesday 26 June 2012

Floors done

I went up today to check out whether the carpet had been laid yet.  The last info I got was on Thursday that the installer had hurt his neck and wasn't going to be installing before Monday.  Today, there was someone cleaning windows and someone else vacuuming the carpet.  The bamboo flooring looks awesome.   I'm extremely happy with how it looks.  They rang me on Thursday to double check which direction I wanted it laid, since the instructions I had supplied were contrary to how they would normally do it.  This was definitely how I wanted it.  I had told them I wanted it laid with the boards in the same direction as the grain on the treads of the stairs.  I'm so glad I stuck to my inner vision.  The end result is exactly how I wanted it.

They said they would normally go with the direction of the longest line, which was perpendicular to what I wanted.  If they had done this, it would have made the master bedroom look narrower and longer than it is and coming down the stairs, would have looked wrong (in my opinion) with the floor boards in a 90 degree angle to the stairs.

Their advice was that what I was asking for, was going to close in the rooms.  YES.  YES.  YES.  Precisely!  That's exactly the look I'm going for.  I'm not looking for rooms that appear larger than they are.  I'm trying to get a cosy feeling here, despite the size of the rooms.

And also,  the master bedroom already feels too short in one direction (even though it really isn't), so setting up the floor boards in the other direction gives it a psychological depth, based on the line and direction of the flooring.  It's the cheats way of making a room feel bigger in a specific direction.  And I was right.  I'm standing in the room and it just feels wider.

Today was a good day.  Not only does the fire streak bamboo look frigging awesome, but the direction it has been laid has directly impacted the feel of the entire house.  Win to team Sarah.





  



Oh and the carpet has been installed as well.  Yes, the carpet looks fine and feels great to walk around on in socks, but in the scheme of things, I can't help but think it's just carpet.





No comments:

Post a Comment